The evolving artificial intelligence (AI) landscape creates new resources to support college completion, but practitioners and policymakers must carefully consider how these resources can be approached with equity, economic opportunity, and students in mind at every step. Complete College America is exploring the new possibilities offered by AI to increase educational attainment and to include historically excluded voices in the development of new technology and the scaling of student success practices. AI has the potential to enhance work already happening across states, systems, and campuses to propel CCA’s mission forward. Generative AI can be an effective tool in the college attainment toolbox.
Institutions and organizations that embrace AI can not only harness new transformative tools but also equip students with the necessary skills and competencies to succeed in AI-driven industries, thereby propelling their long-term opportunities. This is just the beginning for AI–and Complete College America will continue to develop insights on policies, perspectives, and practices around equitable uses of and access to AI for postsecondary attainment and student success, creating a roadmap to navigate this new technological landscape.
These materials were developed in partnership with T3 Advisory and CCA’s AI Working Group, a newly established committee of AI experts and practitioners.
Attainment with AI: Making a Real Difference in College Completion with Artificial Intelligence
The AI playbook provides many practical ideas and concepts for higher education institutions and systems to employ generative AI for student success, completion, and equity. It categorizes 170+ use cases and 30+ sample prompts within three key operational frameworks:
– Strategic planning supported by predictive analytics and scenario modeling
– Optimized IT infrastructure through predictive maintenance and automated support
– Streamlined administration via automated compliance reporting
– Data analytics to guide strategic enrollment management and planning
– Predictive analytics for budgeting and financial decision-making
Teaching and Learning
– Personalized learning content tailored to students’ needs and interests
– Immersive simulations for experiential learning
– Automated formative assessments and real-time feedback
– Personalized academic planning, scheduling, and pathway optimization
– Early alert systems and targeted outreach to support student success
– Immersive learning through AR/VR and gamification
– AI chatbots for 24/7 tutoring, advising, and support
The AI Divide: Equitable Applications of AI in Higher Education to Advance the Completion Agenda
This position paper complements the playbook by articulating an imperative for equity as systems, states, and institutions adopt AI and as technology companies expand their AI tools. Without thoughtful policies and oversight, AI risks amplifying unequal privilege that has historically created a system of inequity in higher education.
Key aspects include:
– Mitigating algorithmic bias through diverse data and transparency
– Inclusive policymaking by engaging under-resourced institutions
– Proportional investment in AI capabilities, regardless of school type
CCA encourages institutions nationwide to thoughtfully explore AI’s potential to increase completion and success. However, equity must remain central, not an afterthought.
CCA will develop and convene the Complete College America Council on Equitable AI in Higher Education to advance an equitable AI landscape as an advisory body representing diverse institutional voices. CCA urges policymakers, tech firms, and funders to work closely with the Council to ensure AI serves all students justly.